This simple but delicious baked french toast casserole recipe is perfect for when you need to feed a large crowd for brunch or breakfast.
We love making a special brunch during the holidays, Mother’s Day, Easter, and basically anytime we have family or friends over.
It pairs perfectly with other breakfast favorites such as bacon, sausages, smoothies, and more!
Making a casserole for brunch for gatherings is the easiest way to serve a crowd of people. They are easily thrown together, made ahead of time, and you can even freeze them to cook up later. If I’m not making this baked french toast casserole, you can usually find me pulling my breakfast ham casserole out of the freezer that I made ahead of in preparation.
Ingredients for Baked French Toast Casserole
- Whole Milk
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Icing Sugar (to finish)
- Fresh Fruit (to finish)
What is French Toast Casserole?
French toast casserole is a baked breakfast dish made by layering bread in a baking dish and pouring a mixture of eggs, milk, sugar, and spices over it. The bread soaks up the custard mixture and becomes soft and flavorful. The casserole is typically baked in the oven until golden brown and the center is set. It is a casserole version of the tradional french toast that is served as a slice of bread.
How to Make a Baked French Toast Casserole
- Heat your oven to 350 °F. Start by greasing your cast iron skillet or casserole dish with butter and cut your bread slices into 1-inch square pieces. Place the bread sliced evenly in your greased skillet.
- In a separate bowl combine milk, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together. Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Once the mixture is of a smooth consistency, slowly pour over the bread cubes, ensuring even coverage over all of the bread pieces. Carefully toss the bread cubes in the mixture to ensure even coverage.
- Create your casserole crust by combining melted butter, cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar. It should look like wet sand.
- Sprinkle the sand-like mixture over the casserole evenly.
- Pop the casserole in the oven for 45-55 minutes, checking regularly.
Can you Freeze a Baked French Toast Casserole?
Yes! I love making any recipe that can be prepped ahead and put in the freezer. It makes this casserole freezer-friendly you must fully bake the casserole first. Let it cool and wrap it tightly with aluminum foil. You can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once you pull it out of the freezer, let it that completely then warm it in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350 °F.
How Do You Know When French Toast Casserole is Done?
French toast casserole is typically done when the bread has soaked up the custard mixture and is golden brown on top. A good way to check if it is done is to insert a toothpick or knife into the center of the casserole. If it comes out clean, it is done. You can also check the internal temperature of the casserole with a meat thermometer, it should reach around 165°F.